15 June 2012

Brooker Creek Birds


At the last Association of Nature Center Adminstrators gathering in Tarpon Springs, Florida I was able to stay at the Brooker Creek Biological Station.  It was a very pleasant building that had some nice birdlife right out the front door. 

My first morning there I was delighted to find Eastern Bluebirds nesting only feet away.  I watched as the parents tended to the nest. Flying back and forth from trees to house, they gave me nice views.  We don't have bluebirds like this in Palm Beach County, so it was fun to just sit back and watch the show. 



Bluebirds weren't the only ones nesting.  On the line below you may not recognize the bird but that's a Tufted Titmouse with a mouth full of nesting material.  It would fly from a nearby barn structure out to its nesting tree.  I loved how much these small birds seemed to carry, just in the mouth.  I think nest design is amazing.  It always surprises me how they weave the materials together to form a perfect shape.



I was admiring the barn's motto "Git-R-Done" when a Swallow-tailed Kite came in for killer views.  It glided the air waves over and over my head until it disappeared over the pine trees.  I was happy to be working in another part of the state and visiting some interesting bird species at the biological station.  Come back next week to see the shorebirds I found!

1 comment:

aviary for sale said...

Wonderful page. I really enjoyed reading your post and those pictures are really lovely.