29 May 2010

Digiscoping Green Cay

One day I would like to think I could take great digiscoping photos like Birdchick or Jeff Bouton but I think I need to keep practicing. We have a new scope at Green Cay and I gave it my first run at digiscoping this week. I hope you enjoy the photos below.


These birds were way out across the big pond at Green Cay. You could only see little specks of pink with the naked eye. The lone Wood Stork nearby gives a nice contrast in size to the Roseate Spoonbills.

Below is my attempt at a close up digiscope of a Mottled Duck. The photos didn't come out quite as crisp as I would like but it's not too bad. I think if I had a different digital camera my results would be better. Still you can see the difference between a closed eye and an open eye in the two below.




The Limpkin below was about 30 feet away. It was perched in a Bald Cypress tree and hard to find at first. With the scope the bird was not quite as shaded as it appeared at first glance.


If you want to learn more about digiscoping try watching a video over at 600 birds or reading an article about on at Birdwatcher's Digest

No comments: