13 March 2015

New York Big Lifer Day


This past week was an exceptional bird week or I should say bird day.  Sunday I went birding with the Cayuga Bird Club.  At Myer's Park I saw my lifer Surf Scoter and Red-necked Grebe.  Then we searched the agricultural fields where we found my lifer Lapland Longspur.  I even snagged that photo above with the spur showing!


After leaving the Horned Larks and Snow Buntings we headed north where we we were able to pick out two Trumpeter Swans from the Tundra Swans by the Lock Dam all the way north bordering Montezuma Wildlife Refuge.


We circled the lake and unsuccessfully did not find any interesting raptors near Seybolt Road but we had one more big trick in our bag - the Ithaca Yacht Club.  A Tufted Duck has been lingering around the yacht club and we had killer looks.  We also spotted the little Pied-billed Grebe above staying close to shore.  Mixed in the rafts were Common Loons, Red-throated Loons, Ruddy Duck, and countless Redheads and Scaup species.


The big day came to an end as we watched a family of Tundra Swan drift out towards the middle of Cayuga Lake.  I had one last glance at the Tufted and called it a day.


New Year Birds:
Red-necked Grebe - Lifer
Surf Scoter - Lifer
Lapland Longspur - Lifer
Trumpeter Swan - Lifer
Tufted Duck - Lifer
Common Loon
Ruddy Duck

No comments: