08 January 2014

Colorado Birds of 2014



There are many birds that in North America that I still have never seen and since I am a new transplant to Colorado I thought it fitting that I make some 2014 goals.  Below is a list of birds that I would like to add to both my life list and my Colorado list.

Most desired CO birds:
  

  • Barrow’s Goldeneye – just waiting to find one nearby to chase.  Hoping to get lucky this winter. 
  • Northern Goshawk – seems like a long shot but it’s on the list 
  • Greater Prairie-Chicken & Lesser Prairie-Chicken – hoping to make a few trips to the leks this year. 
  • Blue Grouse 
  • White-tailed Ptarmigan – tried for it this past summer and missed.  Hopefully 2014 will prove successful. 
  • Black Swift – Summer 2014 target 
  • Three-toed Woodpecker Lazuli Bunting – I didn’t chase one in Florida while I lived there it should be easier seeing this guy out West this coming summer.
  • Golden-crowned Sparrow – my intention is try track down one this weekend.  I’ll let you know if I luck out! 
  • Lapland Longspur
  • Chestnut-collared Longspur
  • Red Crossbill 
  • Evening Grosbeak - ABA's BoY 2012
  • Pine Grosbeak

Well folks, there’s the list.  I know some are easier than others.  A few will require some planning and a few will require some luck but that’s the joy of birding, you never know what you may see if you get out there.  I made a resolution to bird more this year.  I even picked up a lifer on New Year’s Day!  A beautiful Rough-legged Hawk was a nice way to start off the year.  I can’t wait to see what else is in store.  Check back to see how I’m doing on my birding goals.  

What are your target birds for the New Year?  Or your New Year bird/wildlife/outdoor resolutions?

No comments: