02 April 2012

Book Review: Birds of India


Birds of India, Second Edition by Richard Grimmett, Carol Inskipp, and Tim Inskipp is a huge collection of information on the bird life of the Indian Subcontinent. This is meant as a field guide and I will say it has all the things I want in a guide I take out with me such as maps and species descriptions across from the plates and multiple views of birds in flight and different ages, sexes, etc. This book has it all!


On first glance the book reminded me of a Peterson guide, with the colorful depictions of birds in natural habitat and pose. I really like the plates that incorporate these extras.


The storks are the best of the whole book. I just love these colorful plates that make the birds almost pop off the page. I really could imagine myself traveling in India and using this guide. And India is on my top ten list, so with a little luck I'll be packing this book and heading into the unknown.


At over 500 pages and 226 color plates, this is a must-have for any birder traveling to India or the surrounding areas. And if you don't think you'll be making the trip anytime soon, then you should still pick it up, if for nothing else to indulge in the daydreams of India.

This review copy was provided by Princeton University Press.

No comments: