16 September 2011

Canada Warbler at Green Cay


Migration has been pretty good at Green Cay this year.  Last week Linda Fell (photo taken by her above) found a Canada Warbler.  I was lucky enough to go out the next day and relocate it.  Also seen were American Redstarts, Yellow-throated Warbler, Prairie Warblers, Black-and-white Warbler, Northern Parula, and Worm-eating Warbler.  A couple of Red-eyed Vireos and some Blue-gray Gnatcatchers made for a very interesting day at the "Chickee Hut" island. 


Earlier in the week I had birded Matheson Hammock in South Miami and had a very cooperative Swainson's Warbler, Northen Parula, Worm-eating Warblers, and Blue-gray Gnatatchers, all found on the service road.  This area has given Miami birders a Thick-billed Vireo, Kentucky Warbler, and Cerulean Warbler in the past month.   I wish I had seen that Cerulean!  You better believe I'll be out there trying this week. 

Saturday is the North American Migration Count and birders around the country will be out counting in mass.  I'm hoping for something good on this year's count.  I'll be birding the normal Green Cay/Water Utilities areas.  This will be my 5th year leading this count area and I continue to be surprised.  Migration is coming through, don't miss it!

No comments: