17 April 2010

March Madness


March came and went and I would be remise if I didn't mention my March festivities. I took a very fun trip down to Key West for St. Patrick's Day and to celebrate my friend Rupp in town. As you can imagine it was full of drinks and merriment but we did hit up Fort Zachary State Park where the best bird of the day was a lone Northern Gannet floating near shore.

On the way back home we stopped at Bahia Honda State Park for some beach time. The water was clear and cool. It was great just lounging around. A few gulls and terns passed by but nothing spectacular. We did have one Magnificent Frigatebird on the drive.

While my friend Rupp was in town we decided to hit one more state park on her Florida spring break. On her last day we checked out Bill Baggs State Park. The birding was excellent. We had nice looks at Prairie Warblers and Northern Parula. We also had a great view of a Chuck-wills-widow near the light house. Once again I dipped on the La Sagra's Flycatcher. This was my third attempt at locating the bird and sadly, it may be my last. It's just too expensive to pay all the tolls and park admission to keep missing this bird. It's already on my life list so I'm not too upset. It would be nice for my Florida list though.


March was such a short month with all the fun going on. I know that April will go by just as fast. This weekend I am on a whirlwind trip of the Southwest. I will be visiting Zion National Park and the Grand Canyon. Look for trip reports to come!

No comments: