16 April 2010

4th Grade Science Fair

In contrast to the County Envirothon I judged a 4th grade science fair the day before. Both competitions were local students participating in science projects but the 4th graders provided me much more amusement. Two of my favorite hypothesises are below. I appreciate that Mom and Dad didn't help but I thought that they are classic kid ideas, the tiny blocks one especially.


Some of the projects made little sense, like this turtle experiment but I thought it was fun nontheless.


From the name of the projects you can tell how the media affects our youth. In Fruits Gone Wild the student studied decomposition of various fruits in different climates. I must admit, it's a catchy name but doesn't really have anything to do with the science.


Just like the Envirothon I had a teammate that helped me. This time I had Mo from Okeeheelee Nature Center and we decided that the War on Germs project was by far our favorite. All in all, it was a really fun afternoon and the teachers at Manatee Elementary are so kind. They even fed us pizza and snacks. So two wonderful days with the local students in Palm Beach County. Who knows, maybe some of the kids at this science fair will go on to the the Envirothon in years to come. Regardless, I'm proud to be a part of the process no matter how small.

No comments: