02 April 2008

Ocean Ridge Park


Today was a great beach day. Now that I live only a few minutes away I really need to take more advantage of the beautiful scenery. Due to some sunburn I avoided the beach until the late afternoon and then I headed for the Ocean Ridge Park. I love Palm Beach County and their variety of free parks (and I'm not saying this just because I work for them!).


The temperature was perfect, the wind was just right, and the beach was deserted. I also loved the fact that there isn't any development in this area. Hooray for somewhat pristine beaches! I say somewhat because I don't believe that South Florida really has any pristine beaches but this is as close as they come. Plus, just look at that sargassum washing up on the shoreline, beautiful.


Upon closer inspection I found all sorts of treasures washed up in the marine debris. This bottle was covered with Gooseneck Barnacles, Lepas spp. I love these barnacles with their bright orange tipped openings and long feathery feet. Everywhere I looked I found them, attached to bottles, driftwood, and even some sea beans. They were all still alive, desperately trying to pump water inside of their shell.










Barnacles weren't the only thing washed up on shore. The tide line was littered with Portuguese Man O'War. These dangerous little jelly-like animals are beautiful to see up close with their deep blues and bright pink highlights. As long as I'm not swimming with them, I think they're great to see. Most people think they are jellyfish but actually they are a siphonophora, a colony of polyps and medusoids.


As the sunset cast it's colors over the Atlantic, I bid my farewells to not only the Brown Pelicans and Laughing Gulls but also to all my problems. There is no greater therapy than some quality time with the beach. I love the roar of the waves, the salty air, and the calmness that is overwhelming. You never know what you'll find washed up on shore and it's always an adventure in a new place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen that species of barnacle before. Very cool.