19 March 2008

Purple Martin Houses



That black box in the background is a bat box.

Over the weekend I got a call at work about the Purple Martin pictures that I posted. I thought I would share a few more for those interested in PUMAs. We have a total of 6 condo houses located in the middle of Green Cay Wetlands. This is an 88 acre wetland with a grass berm seperating the two halves. As a recreated wetland our main purpose is cleaning treated wastewater but we also provide habitat to numerous animals and use the wetlands for educational purposes.

The Purple Martin houses are so full of activity this time of year. We had over 60 individuals on my bird count today. We clean the houses each year in January, give them a new coat of paint, and otherwise, we are pretty laid-back nest watchers. I've been told that we need to install some predation devices. So far, we haven't had any problems with predators but I'm sure it will only be a matter of time.





No comments: