27 August 2007

Life birds

I spent Saturday at STA-5 in Hendry County birding. It was a scorcher of a day but we had good looks at an American Wigeon, Ring-necked Duck, and a Snail Kite, all life birds for me. Afterwards, I headed to Belle Glade to check out the Marina. My goal was to see a Smooth-billed Ani. After much searching in the drizzling rain we finally spotted one in a deep gully. It flew into some high brush and I felt like I had lost my chance of seeing it. We circled our cars around the campground and tried to see it from another angle. There it was sitting in the vegetation, staying out of the rain. There's not many days that I have the chance to see 4 new life birds. Due to the rain and distance I didn't even take one picture. Don't worry, I have more pictures of BBWD babies to come. I'm becoming quite obsessed with these little ones.

No comments: