03 March 2014

Great Backyard Bird Count 2014

Long overdue post but that's what happens when you're in graduate school, homework comes first.  I did want to share some photos from the recent Great Backyard Bird Count.  My family and I went up to the mountains for some cabin time and my very first bird of the weekend was seen from the front porch - Steller's Jay!


You can see from the ruffled feathers that it was a bit windy.


The best part wasn't the beautiful blue birds but the plethora of Pygmy Nuthatches.  I have never seen as many, counted 11 in total at the feeder at one time!


There were also Mountain Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatch, Hairy Woodpeckers, American Crows, and Clark's Nutcrackers.


I usually don't think of woodpeckers as being huge but this Hairy just looked ginormous to me in comparison to those little Pygmy Nuthatches.  I'll try to get a video up of the little devils attacking the feeder.


How was your GBBC weekend?

No comments: