20 January 2014

Suet Time


The backyard birds haven't been showing up recently so I decided to up the stakes and tack on a suet block.  It definitely worked because the birds came out in droves.  I spent almost a hour watching the Black-capped Chickadees, House Finches, and House Sparrows take turns on the cage feeder.


A pair of Downy Woodpeckers tackled the suet and even a Flicker came by for a visit.  Dark-eyed Juncos worked below on picking up the scraps.


The feeder birds gave us a good show and then the next day, it was time for the squirrels to give the suet a try.  I let them eat for 5 minutes before letting the dogs out to scare them off.  Suet isn't cheap and I don't mind the squirrels sharing but they can't eat all the goods.


I admire their ambition and ability to get the prize and they are pretty with their reddish faces and busy tails.  I am more acquainted with the small Grey Squirrels of the Southeast, so every time I see these large red squirrels, I take  a moment to admire them.  Even if I rather they leave my feeders alone!

No comments: