10 March 2012

Riverbend Park Volunteer Trip


We were greeted at Riverbend Park by one of the Peafowl that call the parking lot area home.  These birds are from a population that previous land owners had and have been left in their wake as Riverbend takes shape as a restored Palm Beach County park.


Seven brave volunteers loaded up in my van as I took us up north on I-95.  John Welch, naturalist, gave us a great behind-the-scenes tour.  We took a look at the Seminole battlefield, the old homestead, and had a great introduction at headquarters.  It was everything I was hoping for AND we had the luck of seeing a FOTS of Swallow-tailed Kite soar over us right before our picnic lunch.


One of my favorite parts of Riverbend is the scenery.  I love that it feels like the coastal plain of Georgia.  Those big Live Oaks draped with Spanish Moss and covered with bromeliads, like my favorite the Resurrection Fern seen below.


If you're visiting northern Palm Beach County you should load up your bikes and take a spin on the 15 miles of trails at Riverbend or rent a canoe and go down the Loxahatchee River.  Either way, you will have one natural Florida experience that you won't forget!

No comments: