01 September 2011

The Great Kestrel Count 2011



Robert Mortensen at the Birding Is Fun! blog has put together an idea to honor the American Kestral.  I invite you to participate in this year's event.  Here are the specifics:

When: Labor Day Weekend! Friday, Sept 2nd - Monday, Sept 5th

Where: Wherever you live or are birding that weekend

Why: To celebrate the American Kestrel, which is the ABA Bird of the Year, to introduce someone to birding, and to have fun!

How:
1. Take your kids, a family member, a neighbor or a friend on a drive, a walk, or a bike ride to look specifically for Kestrels for at least an hour during the long weekend.

2. Submit an eBird report of all the birds you see and count (all birds, but especially the Kestrels).

Please send Robert pictures, stories, and video clips of your celebration of The Great Kestrel Count 2011 and he will post them at http://www.birdingisfun.com/ to share with the world.  His contact info can be found on his website.


Follow and Share you experience on Twitter by using the hash-tag #KestrelCount

I'll be in Washington D.C. for Labor Day weekend and while I know I won't have much time for birding you better believe I'll have my eyes open for a stray kestral on my adventure!

No comments: