09 June 2011

Book Review: Avian Architecture




First let me say that this is the perfect time of year for a book to come out on bird nests. Everywhere around me I'm seeing birds build nests and birds hatching. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wondered how exactly a hummingbird constructs a nest. And let me tell you Avian Architecture: How Birds Design, Engineer & Build by Peter Goodfellow is the perfect book to give you a crash course on some basic bird biology/behavior in a fun format.


The photos are amazing but it's those step-by-step nest building sketches that are my favorite. I really love how Goodfellow divides the chapters by nest type and the case studies are really interesting and cover a good selection of birds from all over the world. You better believe I'll be using the "Blueprints" pages in my next Jr. Ornithology class this summer!


But don't let me convince you, take a look at these plates and I am sure you'll be signing up for your own copy soon!










This week at the Princeton University Press blog they have info on how you can win your very own copy of this book.



This review copy was provided by Princeton University Press.

No comments: