29 September 2010

Mariposa Road

Monday night I attended a lecture by Dr. Robert M. Pyle featuring his new book Mariposa Road: The First Butterfly Big Year. Bob gave excellent readings from his new book and highlighted a few of the adventures of his Big Year along the way. I have already started reading and so far, I think it's going to be a great read full of mistaken identities, hunting for larvae, and zig-zagging travels across the U.S.


For those that know Bob, you are familiar with his good sense of humor, his quirky-named butterfly catching instruments, and his friendly demeanor. I hope that at 61 years old I am just as adventuresome and carefree as Bob Pyle. I don't know many people that would convert their old Honda car into a mobile tent and hit the road in search of butterflies so he has my great admiration for this feat. I will let you know how I enjoy Mariposa Road but don't wait on me, the book was officially released on Monday!


You may already be familiar with his other titles but if not here is a sample: Audubon's Field Guide to North American Butterflies, Chasing Monarchs, and Where Bigfoot Walks: Crossing the Dark Divide. Be sure to add Mariposa Road to your reading list, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No comments: