27 April 2010

Whooping Cranes in Florida


With all this talk about Whooping Cranes I bet you wonder if I actually SAW a Whooping Crane. Well better than that, I saw three of them near St. Cloud, FL at the Double C Bar Ranch. The above shot was taken from the road entrance. If you look out across the fields you can spy a few white cranes.


These aren't the best shots but they were taken via digiscoping. I was happy with the looks and a Wild Turkey even walked right by in the frame as well.


For those not famaliar with digiscoping it's fairly simple. You take a camera, hold it up to the scope, and try to focus it, and take a shot.


The birds were pretty far off but the shot below is my best of the bunch. If you click on the photo you should be able to make out the red facial markings. It was a great weekend of camping and these Whooping Cranes were the icing on the cake.

No comments: