05 June 2009

Maine Dish

Mallards that aren't feral, something I won't see in South Florida.

On my second full day in Maine I woke up bright and early and headed to Evergreen Cemetery in downtown Portland. I must say that this hotspot held up to it's reputation. Among the highlights were Bay-breasted, Chestnut-sided, Canada, and Wilson's Warblers. By the end of the morning I was in the double digits in the colorful migrants. And I had picked up my lifer Least Flycatcher. I left to visit Caspic Park where I found both Orchard and Baltimore Orioles, nesting nonetheless.


I figured the best reward for my early birding success was to head back to Saco and try the infamous lobster roll out for lunch. I took a picnic on the jetty and watched the boats go out to sea. The lobster was amazing, the scenery divine, and the birds weren't bad either. A Greater Black-backed Gull came over looking for a hand-out but I declined. Of course I did manage to take a picture with my poor point and shoot camera.




Once Rupp was off work we loaded up the car and headed north to Camden Hills State Park. Hiking, camping, and Puffins were on the agenda. More on that later!

No comments: