16 February 2009

Ring-necked Ducks


At Green Cay we always get a lot of Blue-winged and Green-winged Teal each winter but not much variety. Occasionally we have one lone Ruddy Duck or like this year's one lone female Northern Shoveler that sticks around. So imagine my surprise when I heard that over 50 Ring-necked Ducks were hanging out just a few miles away. I followed the directions down Lake Ida Road and there was the small drainage pond on the side of the road and inside were the Ring-necked Ducks as promised. They were wary of me and even though I was far away and behind a fence a few of them flushed into the sky. I don't know if this skittish behavior is the reason they aren't making Green Cay a winter home but it could be one reason. Regardless, it was fun to see something different and I didn't even have to drive out of my way to find them.



No comments: