22 January 2009

MLK Weekend

Wow, I've been pretty absent from this blog. I promise that this won't be a lasting trend for 2009. I was off running around in the cold weather of South Carolina for the past week with some of my best friends.


This past weekend was our 5th annual MLK weekend on my family's farm in South Carolina. We had a huge crowd, lots of fun, and some cold weather. People from 6 different states attended the festivities and even a couple of dogs showed up too.

Rupp with her pup Chapare above and Darwin below.


We rode some 4-wheelers, shot some guns, played some games, and generally behaved like typical South Carolina rednecks. Of course we also had a few band sessions with 2 guitars, an African drum, and many different singers. Fireworks made an appearance at some point and my parents cooked a lot of good soul food.


This was by far one of my favorite MLK weekends. We topped the weekend off by watching the inauguration on Tuesday and then hitting up some wildlife refuges on the way home. At Santee National Wildlife Refuge the snow was coming in steady over the lake so after a quick scan we decided to head further south to the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge. We really hit the jackpot there with 8 different species of waterfowl, all the waders, and a few raptors. I picked up my first lifer of the year at our last stop where 6 Canvasback made an appearance. It was the perfect way to end a great vacation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

piGreat picture... I had a great time. Mom