16 October 2008

Winter Residents

Photo by Bill Kominsky at Green Cay this week

Migration at Green Cay is slowing down. I know it from the lack of new species showing up and from the new sightings of winter residents. The Palm Warblers are already back in all their tail-wagging glory. The next thing we know the Yellow-rumped Warblers will be here too. Of course if you read my weekend list you know that the Miami-Dade area is still seeing good variety of migrants but not the numbers that we saw the week before. I'm a little sad that my favorite birds have already migrated through but I'm equally excited about our winter residents arriving soon. My FOTS American Kestral was on the light lines yesterday on my way home. Next thing you know we'll be showered in Green-winged Teal, Northern Harriers, and Eastern Phoebes.

2 comments:

troutbirder said...

Enjoyed seeing your blog for the first time and to know that some of "my" warblers have arrived safely in the South.

Eva Matthews said...

They surely have arrived. I've been loving fall migration!

Thanks for stopping in.