01 October 2008

Least Grebes

The first Least Grebes (Tachybaptus dominicus) to nest in Florida have been found just southeast of Green Cay in Boca Raton, FL. This is just the eighth time that Least Grebes have been found in the state. But now there are two adults and 2 babies present at the Yamato Scrub Natural Area. The second egg hatched yesterday! David and Lee Hasse found the birds and reported them this past weekend. I went out yesterday in the rain and had great looks. The birds were just 15-20 feet away and the nesting area was roped off to protect the young.

Steve Siegel shot some great video of the pair changing places on the nest. Below are the original photos taken by David Hasse.

More photos can be seen on the TAS board here and here. I'm sure photos of the babies will be coming soon now that the rain has stopped.

4 comments:

Ken Conger Photography said...

My parents live in Coral Springs and I often visit Green Cay and Wakodahatchee for photography. You have a great blog and I enjoyed reading the posts.

After visiting several times have never seen the bobcats. Next time to head down to see my folks I'll touch bases with you to see what is happening.

Wish I was there to see the grebe.

Blue Skies-Ken

Eva Matthews said...

Definitely stop by and ask for me at the desk. I'll let you know of any recent sightings.

I'm glad you enjoyed the posts.

Anonymous said...

Awesome that you got to see the grebes! :-) If I come to town next weekend can we stop there so I can see them? Pretty please?

Eva Matthews said...

Definitely Kim...we'll put it on the list!