11 April 2008

Loxahatchee Reflection


After work I decided to head over to the local wildlife refuge for some exploring. My first trip ever to South Florida brought me to this park. I was with two of my favorite girls and we had a great time with a large Banded Watersnake and the Lubber Grasshoppers. That was two years ago this month and so much of my life has changed and yet, so much of it remains the same. As a means of reflection, I decided to go back and see what has changed with the land. What I found was familiar paths and beautiful wildlife.


The Red-shouldered Hawks were making their presence known throughout my trip. Two of them kept giving chase to each other and perching in the tops of the trees that lined the cell. I really wanted to see a Snail Kite and Loxahatchee didn't disappoint. I had one fly over, snail in bill, within 30 minutes of parking. I also saw such birds as American Bittern, Roseate Spoonbill, and Eastern Kingbird.


Just like two years ago the Lubber Grasshoppers were out in full force. On my first trip to Loxahatchee their numbers were so great that it became a little creepy. Today I was graced with just a few appearances. I love how with each molt they change their patterns and colors. They really are beautiful insects and they provide ample food for the wildlife. One let me hold it for quite awhile, while others were already dead on the trail providing food for the fire ants.




After a complete circle of the main cell of the Marsh Trail, I decided to peak into the Cypress Boardwalk trail area. The ARM NWR is undergoing some construction on their visitor center so you have to access the boardwalk from a separate parking lot. The Gray Catbirds were plentiful on my arrival to the trailhead. And a Common Yellowthroat was singing a mighty song though I couldn't get my bins on it.


Once on the boardwalk I was instantly reminded why I love living in the Southeast, Cypress Trees. There's something about these mighty giants with their Spanish Moss and bromeliads that make me feel right at home. Even with the mosquitoes present I felt happy and content walking the boardwalk over the standing water swamp. Along the way I met a very vocal Pileated Woodpecker that gave me great looks. This bird may not be the Ivory-billed but it still has a haunting quality as it calls through the thick swamp air. I'm not quite sure why it has taken me two years to return to this land but I promise the next visit will come sooner. I'll be back next time with fresh memories and hopefully, even more peace in my life.



No comments: