28 December 2007

Walking Through a Cemetery

If you every travel to Savannah, Georgia I am sure you will hear all about Bonaventure Cemetery due to its Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil fame. But there are many other places to explore to find interesting history. On my last adventure in Georgia I stopped by Savannah and walked through Colonial Cemetery, found on the corner of Abercorn and Oglethorpe. This is a convenient walk from downtown.


Colonial Cemetery is Savannah's oldest city burial ground. Many famous Georgians are buried here. The most famous is Button Gwinnett (1735-1777). He was one of the original signors of the Declaration of Independence. His death was quite tragic, involving a duel set at 12 feet apart. Gwinnett died three days later due to his injuries.


Like most cemeteries, Colonial provides refuge for all types of wildlife. I watched Brown Thrashers run about the headstones while American Robins perched in the trees. The stump above drew my attention. I love old trees and this one lived a nice long
life. Next time you're traveling, stop at a local cemetery and enjoy the solitude.

No comments: