14 August 2007

Savannah Ogeechee Canal

Since I was in Savannah, GA for the weekend I thought that I would try to find a suitable place where some birds may be lingering around. After a quick look on the local Audubon chapter's website I found a place called the Savannah Ogeechee Canal. Hewy and I set off with a belly full of the best pizza in Savannah in search of some wildlife. Immediately upon arriving we noticed warblers dancing about in the trees. It's been so long since I've seen a warbler that I couldn't contain my excitement. Hewy thought that I was a bit crazy but she was enjoying the peaceful setting as well.
My camera is not the best for catching birds at long range but I did take a picture of one of my favorite kinds of spider, the golden orb-weaver. It's name refers to the color of the spider's silk. Orb weavers don't build webs every day but rather they will use the same materials over and over until they fall apart. The webs are strong enough to snag birds without breaking, and I have been caught in one a few times while bush whacking through the forest that has stopped me in my tracks. Scientists are studying the super-resilient silk in hopes to build better bullet-proof vests, athletic clothing, and even artificial tendons.

Back on the trail, we decided to have a little fun taking pictures and being silly. The trees provided much needed shade but it was still hot and sticky. We didn't linger too long at any location but we still managed to see a downy woodpecker (female), pileated woodpecker, black and white warblers, pine warblers, and a common yellowthroat (female).


All in all, it was a grand day at the Savannah Ogeechee Canal. The admission was only two dollars and they have a small museum and nature center. If you're ever in the area I would definitely recommend a short detour to walk around this park. Plus, it's only 2 miles off of I-95 which makes it very easy to find.

No comments: