17 July 2007

Burrowing Owls

When I first moved to Florida I was very eager to see a burrowing owl. I know there are populations in Palm Beach County but I figured I would go right to the source and head to Cape Coral. Cape Coral has over 1000 nesting pairs. Florida Fish and Wildlife estimates that the whole state only has 3,000 to 10,000 pairs.

As we drove through the crowded neighborhoods it seemed like Everyone had a burrowing owl perch in their yard but I didn't see a single owl. We only spent maybe an hour searching for an owl before other plans took hold but I was disappointed in not finding one. A few weeks later I heard that there were a nesting pair literally a few miles from my work. Off I drove to the small elementary school in search of their owls. I drove right around the car pick-up section and to my surprise they were right there. A whole burrowing owl family! The parents were guarding their little owlets. Needless to say, you don't have to look far to find your prize.

burrowing owls

No comments: